Photograph by Tas Kyprianou

Sunday 1 August 2010

Brigitta Von Gut Max



I have been meaning to introduce you to one of my fairly recent acquisitions.. Brigitta Von Gut Max.

For many years I have had a rather strange interest in vintage mannequins.. especially the chalkware display type. I have searched everywhere for them, but they are so rare and when you do find them they are so expensive! I bought Brigitta from a Belgian dealer at an antiques market here in London For £45!!!!!! Can you believe it? I couldn't. She's from the 1940's, and was dead stock from a German factory that closed down a few years back. I wish I had been a little flush on the day because there was another mannequin.. could have been Brigitta's granny, she was amazing! Maybe a size 14-16. I wish I had bought her too. Oh well, I'll find another if it's meant to be.

A lot of people are put off buying mannequins that have never been used because their faces are a bit strange. When they left the factories they didn't have eyelashes or much colour. This was often applied later to suit the product/display. I have put some false eyelashes on Brigitta, black eyeliner and coral colour on her lips. So, next time you see a bargain, don't pass it by. Get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment