Photograph by Tas Kyprianou

Monday 19 July 2010

Kuala Lumpur





So, here I am in Malaysia. I arrived last thursday morning after a flight that seemed to go on forever. I have been long haul many times before, but for some reason this one felt a bit like torture!
Peter met me from the airport and took me for brunch Malay style. It was AMAZING! I can understand now why Peter never wants to eat Indian back home any more, for the price of one side dish in London (£4.25), we ate two huge plates of curried veg, daal and rice and drank two glasses of freshly squeezed carrot and starfruit juice. I have to say, it's the best curry I have had in ages. The food in this city is something else. Every street corner offers the most delicious delights from it's melting pot of cultures. All the street food is generally safe to eat, though I don't eat meat so I can't vouch for that. The thought of fish heads makes me go a bit wobbly but I had the most incredible fish head curry... (not a gill or glassy eye in sight!).
Jet lag kicked in and I didn't really surface again till Friday night when we went to the most incredible restaurant called Tamarind for dinner with a friend. The restaurant is owned by an entrepreneur couple who now own several award winning boutique hotels and restaurants in the far East. I'll be posting more about them later as we're off to their jungle hideaway on Tioman Island tomorrow. Anyway, I highly recommend the food here, especially the lobster Linguini!!!!
Last night we went to see the magnificent landmark Petronas Towers, and they are indeed, truly MAGNIFICENT! I could't believe how great the pictures came out on my iphone. The towers climb 88 storeys high which equates to 1,483ft , nearly a kilometre high! The buildings were designed to resemble Islamic art motifs through it's glass facade, a truly great architectural accomplishment. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment