Photograph by Tas Kyprianou

Sunday 18 July 2010

Catalogue Shoot







Apologies for this week's huge gap in posting. Time flies so quickly and before you know it days have passed and it feels like you just blinked!
Last week Tas and I went back to the beach this time with our gorgeous model Sara, to shoot the images for my fourth coming mail order catalogue. After weeks of the most glorious weather, I woke up at 5 am to the heaviest rain showers and thunder storms. I peeked out of the window on to the beach at the black sky and my heart sank. We had 9 swimsuits to photograph and I just couldn't figure out how we were going to be able to shoot them all in my little 1 bedroom beach chalet and make it look interesting.
I found Tas asleep in the car outside the gates at 8.30, frazzled after shooting all weekend on another project. He had driven down from London in the hammering rain after just 3 hrs sleep and felt as heavy hearted as I did. We decided to be optimistic, and willing the sun to come out we headed off to collect Sara from the station.
Fast forward to 11.30am.. all three of us are sitting inside the chalet looking out, it's pouring rain and it's really dark. I have done Sara's hair and make up and we are ready to go. We are desperately trying to come up with a plan when the phone rings and a friend called Marilyn who lives in the most amazing house in Whitstable saves the day. "I was just thinking about you and felt awful about the weather, so why don't you come and shoot at the house?". I couldn't believe it. The Gods were on our side. This house is a £1,500 a day location and dear Maz was offering it to me for free! Everyone has shot in her house, from Elle to Laura Ashley to Nigella Lawson! It is called 'The Battery' and has been everything from an arms house, to a look out for the home guard during WW2 to a holiday home for children in the 1970's. I think the building dates from Victorian times and still retains a lot of it's original features. Maz has filled it with the quirkiest objects and decorated it beautifully, most of all it is completely sympathetic to the surrounding landscape. The perfect location for Flying Fish!
Despite being a little fraught, the day went brilliantly thanks to Maz, and by 5pm the sun was shining again and we managed to shoot the remaining "Silver Screen" pieces on the beach.
The photo's added here are a mixture of some snaps I took of weird and wonderful objects I found in The Battery and one pic of lovely Sara taken on the deck in between shots.
Whoever was watching over us that day, THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment