Photograph by Tas Kyprianou

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Sundae Sundae, the BEST British sweet shop







As mentioned in my previous link, the one place I always pay a visit to when I'm home in Whitstable is Sundae Sundae. It's the most brilliant Vintage style sweet shop you will ever find. Steve and Jan, the owners, have made it an aladdin's cave of sweets, drinks, ice cream, bric a brac, and vintage curio's that will satisfy young and old alike.

It's like stepping back in time, the memories of sweets gone by will come flooding back. I remember getting thrown out of the cinema for eating space dust and crackling so loudly that I disturbed everyone around me... 3 whole packets! The novelty of the noise and the sensation made me laugh over and over again. I must have been climbing the walls when I got home that night! And remember how if you sucked on space invaders long enough they stuck to the roof of your mouth and made your taste buds go numb because they were so sour? All these moments I had forgotten till I found this shop. It's packed with goodies galore and Steve even designs his own packaging for many of the products.

The atmosphere is so welcoming too... the first time I went I was serenaded by Steve over the ice cream counter, and last week they were all dressed as Pirates for carnival day. Their love and passion for this business oozes off every shelf, so If you are feeling down in the dumps and passing by, pop in. Where else can you be greeted with a smile and a song and leave feeling like a child again? Forget the calories for 5 minutes, the joy of just being there will leave you buzzing long enough to work off that ice cream.

Shame on you if you have been to Whitstable but haven't been to Sundae sundae!

Sundae Sundae, 62 Harbour st, Whitstable, kent. CT5 1AG

No comments:

Post a Comment