Photograph by Tas Kyprianou

Thursday 12 August 2010

Yum Yum

Another of my life long desires has been to go to Japan. I made a pact with a friend at school when I was 15 that one day we would go together. We are still in touch, but I doubt very much that I will make that journey with her now... Though I can't quite believe I haven't been yet, especially since the last 4 years of my life have been spent trotting back and fourth from the Far East to visit my beloved. I'm not sure why I am so drawn to the country. Some have said I had a past life as a geisha, but personally I think it's my love of all things plastic and ridiculous. I love STUFF! I am a magpie when it comes to kitsch. I found this website today with lots of weird and wonderful gizmo's and gadgets.

In the food section I found some very interesting sweets. I'm not sure they are for my palette, but I would never say never. Apparently there is a 'Drop Candy boom' going on in Japan right now. Drop candy, or Sakuma drops as they were originally called were very popular in Japan from as far back as the 1930's, and yet again they are gathering fluff in the handbags of Japan's most fashionable residents. You can get the usual sweet flavours like strawberry and green tea etc, but they also have quite a varied selection of savoury flavours. Hmmmm... for my first course I think I will have sushi drops, and when I'm homesick I can have a good old baked potato with butter drop, and I think I'll wash it all down with a full tin of beer drops!... Hic! Sadly those ones are non alcoholic.

Anyway, I plan to go to Japan very soon with a very large, empty suitcase.

You can buy drop candy from j box.

No comments:

Post a Comment