Photograph by Tas Kyprianou

Monday 16 August 2010

Graffiti Knitters

Back in 2005, two frustrated knitters from Houston, Texas came up with an idea of how to put all their unfinished knitting projects to good use. The ladies (who shall remain nameless) formed a rogue knitting group called 'Knitta' Please! and began tagging various locations around Houston. Within weeks their wooly marks were appearing all over the city on trees, lamp posts, railings and monuments. Since then, several copy cat groups are following their lead world wide and knitted graffiti has been found in many far flung places including the Great Wall of China and Notre Dame in Paris.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that we have our very own Graffiti knitters at home in Whitstable... or should I say 'Knitstable'. They call themselves 'Inkogknito' and have already begun marking lamp posts, letterboxes and even pebbles on Whitstable beach. I found the bicycles above parked out the cheese shop. Apparently they arrive in the dark and leave in the dark and nobody knows to whom they belong! Well, I think they are fantastic, good one ladies. Erm... if you are reading, I wouldn't mind a jumper or two for the winter??? I hear aran is very 'in' this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment